Pearle Northrop

Artist Statement
It wasn’t until I was in my twenties that I started taking what I do seriously and it took even longer to consider myself an artist. I love to paint whatever I can get my hands on from things as small as a Scrabble® piece to as big as a dresser and hopefully even bigger someday. Whatever it is I will paint it. I love transforming trash into treasure literally. Imagine that a chair that came from a dumpster (2006) made it into a museum (2009). It blows me away to think that something I did creates a sense of awe in a viewer’s eye.
I was talking to a friend a few years back about my love for furniture, my relationship with chairs in particular. There was a chair that I found discarded and ultimately forgotten. I came upon this chair accidentally. I wasn't looking for a relationship. Anyway, the chair was a very handsome chair with so many things to look at. His back was decorative; his arms were long and lean. His legs...I have never seen such beautiful legs. But he was beaten down. His self-esteem had long been worn out. His seat, which was repeatedly upholstered over years, was torn and faded. His stuffing was busting out revealing his age and loss of pride. Me, being a care taker and rescuer of sorts....picked up the chair and brought it home. He sat at the top of the stairs for a few weeks in a corner. My friends however saw this chair and commented on how ugly he was. They wondered why I had him in my home commenting on how dirty he was and how unattractive he was due to the years of neglect. I ignored them and kept him around. Finally one day I decided to put him on my coffee table and take the layers of cloth and wool stuffing off of his seat. Then I cleaned him, primed him and painted him black. Three months later I sat back and looked at him and this is what I saw.....A chair, a man restored...but not only restored but given a whole new purpose. He was beautiful again. He was unique and wonderful....The same chair that my friends were grossed out by....is now a chair that they ask permission to touch. Amazing.....One thing is for certain...NOTHING STAYS THE SAME! Change is inevitable and what is ugly or dirty or discarded as trash can be saved, can be rescued and can be made shinier than new!
Taking discarded forgotten pieces and giving them their self-esteem back is a passion for me. Living in a world where we discard things so easily I’d like to think I am making an itty bitty difference.
Pearle Northrop


Thursday, March 18, 2010

Looking for Inspiration & Motivation & perhaps a little....

Today is the day. I need to get back to work It is absurd that I haven't done anything. I can't afford to go through another non-productive day. I have accomplished absolutely NOTHING in the past few weeks! I have a ton of things that need to get done and I am at a complete stand still.
I have a few things started but I can't get into the groove.
My head is all backed up with so many things I can't even get my priorities straight. What on earth am I going to do if I don't get into the painting groove?
There is a clock in two pieces on my living room floor. I painted it a strange light blue...but that is it, nothing else. I know that it isn't finished but I just don't know what the next step would be. Where does this clock want me to go? It is a clock I am actually doing for my daughters dance instructor. It is in lousy condition. Looks like it has been left out on the rain. I did some minor repairs but not too much because I am afraid it might fall apart. The clock doesn't actually work but that doesn't seem to matter to its owner.
So I am at a fork in the road....which way do I go? Do I continue in the direction to nothingness and endless procrastination or do I get up off of my bottom (which is at an unrecognizable size) and get something, anything accomplished?!
That is another thing....my weight. I stopped smoking 2 years ago and have been dealing w/ stress....its all right in the face. Life sometimes throws these amazingly difficult curve balls and it seems that I don't actually duck for any of them but rather take it straight in my face. Head on with the ungrooviness of what life sometimes has to offer. I'll tell you though, next time the sh*t hits the fan....I am running for cover! I don't dig getting dragged down and stomped on by other peoples demons. Sounds selfish but the truth is....I might be better off if I practiced a little more selfishness. (wow, went way off course on this one!)
Now, back to my needing to pick up a paintbrush an get things done! Today is a good day to get started. The sun is shining in my window and the warmth and glow is energizing! Free & Groovy are laying beside me. Free really needs to go on a diet. Maybe I can make a commitment to the both of us....Poor Fat Free!
Tomorrow is Groovy's Surgery. Painting might be a good way to deal with my worry......

1 comment:

  1. I hate creative blocks. I've been in one when it comes to make cards, for several months now. The difference is that I don't sell mine, so I don't have the same pressure that you do. I put it down to a winter malaise, and hope that oncoming sunny days will snap me out of it. I hope the same for you. You do such lovely work.

    ReplyDelete